Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen, Inc.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Vacation/Sick leave, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Structural Engineer Graduate or EIT to join our Wireless Communications division in our Virginia Beach, VA office. This position will be will be responsible for assisting in various aspects of the structural engineering portion of a project while working under the close supervision and guidance of a licensed Structural Engineer (PE). Typical responsibilities include discrete tasks such as determination of structural loads and performing structural analysis and design on individual members or portions of the overall structure via manual and software-aided calculations. In addition, this position will be responsible for structural design of retrofits, reinforcing, and re-purposing of existing structures.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Performing various aspects of structural engineering on projects, or portions of projects, as directed by a senior or lead project engineer and in conformance with the applicable Building Code and referenced material-specific codes and standards. Projects may include building-type and waterfront-type structures, investigation of existing structures, and design related to a business development activity such as a response to a Request for Proposal (RFP).
• Working closely with the lead project engineer to develop a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of structural behavior
• Preparation of schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents as directed
• Performing various duties associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments as directed
• Performing various duties associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
• Complying with quality control policies and procedures
• Learn and implement department and company standards
• Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
• Actively participate in continuing education, mentoring and training programs
• Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Senior Engineers, Project Managers and Design Managers
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Perform Structural Engineer tasks as directed
• Determination of loads acting on the structure, including gravity and lateral loads
• Development of manual calculations and analytical models for structural analysis and design of discrete members or portions of a structure
• Comparison of manual calculations to results obtained via software computation
• Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Engineer
• Creating schematic-level foundation and framing plans for projects of low to moderate complexity
• Participate in developing an accurate, three-dimensional model of the structure with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement
• Develop design options for resolution of system conflicts
• Assist with building systems calculations and LEED templates
• Participate in building system selections
• Participate in building code analysis process
• Adhere to project budget and schedule
• Graduation from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
o Civil Engineering (structural emphasis)
o Civil and Environmental Engineering (structural emphasis)
o Civil Engineering Technology (structural emphasis)
o Architectural Engineering (structural emphasis)
• Post-graduate degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering-related degree may be given additional consideration
*Candidates who expect to graduate by January 1, 2018 are eligible to apply for this position.
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditation
• Completed or be in a position to complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and all other state requirements for certification as an EI/EIT is preferred.
• Ability to complete all requirements for PE licensure within 60 months after being hired is preferred.
• Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and pursuing LEED AP or LEED Green Associate accreditation is desirable
• Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
• Active membership in NSPE, ASCE, NCSEA or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Structural Engineer Graduate should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
• Successful completion of at least one student internship is desirable.
• Prior experience in an Engineering or multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm is desirable.
• Familiarity with applicable building codes and standards is desirable.
• Previous experience with wireless communications projects will be given additional consideration for Structural Engineers assigned to our Wireless Communications division.
Other Criteria and Considerations
• Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
• Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
• Have an enthusiastic, client-oriented, can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
• Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
• Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession